As we start a new year, many of you will be thinking ahead to what 2023 will bring both personally and professionally.
Whilst I can’t advise you on the ‘personal’ side, I can give you a few tips on setting yourself up from a ‘professional’ perspective.
Last November, I wrote about the need to have a plan to advance my career.
In that article, I advocated that regardless of what you’re striving to achieve, it’s not possible unless you have the plan to guide you along the way. Creating a career roadmap will provide you with this plan and a foundation to help you advance your career.
Certainly, you need a plan. No question. But you also need to ensure you are well-supported to progress in your career.
The importance of being part of a professional body
Being part of a professional body, such as the Australian Marketing Institute (AMI), provides you with an invaluable range of professional development, networking and other learning opportunities that you may otherwise miss out on. Resources that can help you excel in your career.
So, what are the key benefits of being part of a professional body?
- One of the major benefits of being part of a professional body is the opportunity to invest in your professional development; gain access to training, mentoring programs, research material and industry insights to help you grow in your field.
- The opportunity to network with other members; contacts made through networking can be invaluable when searching for a new position or expanding your sphere of influence. Participating in Professional Interest Groups can also help you further your career. It is common practice to share job postings or even recruit within these groups.
- Ability to attend events where you can learn from guest speakers and connect with some of the brightest minds in your industry.
- Participate in award programs; such programs provide the ability to have your work assessed and recognised through award and recognition programs. This helps build your personal brand and market profile.
- Opportunity to certify your skills which can lead to better career opportunities, demonstrating your commitment to your job and strengthening your credibility as a professional.
- Many professional bodies, including the AMI, offer Mentoring Programs. Having a mentor can play a key role in helping you advance your career. Seek out a mentor that you believe has the experience to help you grow.
- Membership is tax-deductible; in Australia, you can claim a deduction for your membership fee, so being part of a professional body is a bit of a ‘no-brainer’.
Whilst the AMI, or any other professional organisation, can provide you with access to these benefits, it’s up to you to maximise your membership value. Get engaged, get involved and know what opportunities are there for you. And then leverage them. AMI Member benefits.
So, will 2023 be your breakout year? With a well-prepared career plan and the support of your professional body, you will be able to give it your best shot.